Wednesday, September 12, 2007

9.12.07 >> 21st Century Skills

OK, maybe because this article (report) is written in such a dry manner, or that it stays at a safe distance, but there was a cold feeling about it. I do agree, however, that it is critical to create a learning environment that has the best opportunity to prepare students for the outside, working world. A way to do that is to design learning that uses tools students will mostly likely encounter…as well as the other conceptual & soft skills: Information/communication skills, problem-solving skills, interpersonal skills—all of these can of course be embedded into the curriculum of other subjects: English, Science, History, Geography, Political Science—it doesn’t necessarily have to be a separate course or area of study. Implementing problem-centered learning, constructivism, and element of connectivism into other curricula can impart these skills.

“All students need highly-qualified, effective teachers and regular, reliable access to modern technology” (p 22) The report did not seem to address a lot of obvious gaps. For one, the teachers need to be re-taught to embrace this type of learning. How will they accept it? Will they be forced into teaching to the assessment, which plagues many schools now with the “No millionaire left behind” Act? Many teachers are so restricted by the mandate to teach to the assessments, they cannot be creative imparting subject matter. Also, I think teachers are not quite prepared to teach many 21st century tools. I do think it is a good idea to figure out a good way to make this happen, though. Regular, reliable access to technology would be refreshing! There are huge gaps between school districts when it comes to technology, access, etc. Some schools barely have books or current resources.

While I don’t want to be too negative, because I do believe in the ‘idea’ of what this report advocates, I just think that few schools are ready to embrace this; few schools have the staff, the resources, and accessibility to pull it off.

Sidenote: on p16-17 of report there is mention of the need to reflect 21st century skills with 21st century assessments--this is very important. The example sites a written, open-ended question that is intended to be filled out by hand, when the students are likely to be accustomed to typing on a computer. I also found this funny because I read it right after sketched a navigational roadmap for my Flash project and using pencil and paper!

4 comments:

K.E.nn. said...

"OK, maybe because this article (report) is written in such a dry manner, or that it stays at a safe distance..."

I too had the same feelings about this article. There were a lot of big words being thrown around such as "21st Century Context", "21st Century Content", and etc. However, the authors did not really give us a concrete definition to it. Definitely a lot of hand-waving in my opinion.

"The example sites a written, open-ended question that is intended to be filled out by hand, when the students are likely to be accustomed to typing on a computer. I also found this funny because I read it right after sketched a navigational roadmap for my Flash project and using pencil and paper!"

Same here for me, before I design anything digital, it usually starts on the napkin I used for lunch! LOL!

Michelle said...

Hi Desmond,
I nodded my head when I read what you wrote about not wanting to seem negative about the article, because you agreed with the concepts, but had frustrations with the manner in which the article was written. I felt the same way-- of course I am a proponent of bringing the 21st Century into the classroom, and it feels a bit like nit-picking to complain about a consortium of companies who are advocating for it. But the article felt to me like propaganda without concrete suggestions. Vague suggestions were bandied about without clear examples of how to modify the curricula. Lip service was given to the fact that the authors felt their suggestions could be implemented within "No Child Left Behind," but then they didn't explain how. I would have appreciated some concrete suggestions or examples of how the 21st century context is being brought into the classroom and worked into the structure of "No Child Left Behind," rather than just being reassured by the authors that it's possible.

Anthony_sfsu said...

I think that you are right with the no child left behind act. It somehow limits the teachers inititiative to explore the learning process with their students. It just adds up more work instead of giving more time to teach which is the essence of being a teacher

Come and See Africa said...

Desmond, keep up with your blog.

Please check iLearn (last week section) Your class mates created a wiki page and posted about 21st Century Skills.

Also, read your classmates' blog entries. Christina summarized the guest speaker's presentation in her blog.